Charlton owner Roland Duchatelet could face more protests if he does not sell-up soon.
The warning comes from the Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust (CAST) who want the 72-year-old to end his five-year spell at the Valley.
On Thursday, Duchatelet, who has been trying to sell the club for over a year, accused fans of putting off potential buyers by spreading “fake news” about academy players failing to receive bottled water and staff not being paid bonuses.
Manager Lee Bowyer and his assistant Johnnie Jackson, along with several first-team players, are out of contract at the end of the season, which could lead to a mass overhaul in the summer.
And CAST board member Andrew Buckland thinks protests could return if the Addicks suffer a slow start to next season.
He told talkSPORT: “It’s a difficult one because everyone, including Duchatelet, is weary from it all (the protests).
“I think it would depend what happens on the footballing side more than anything now.
“There is a possibility protests could start again because if we started next season in League One having lost a large part of the squad, will we even have Bowyer and Jackson around?
“It would depend what Roland does there, if he continued on his cutbacks and we let a lot of players go and we bring in inferior players or lots of loans and the season doesn’t begin reasonably, then yes, you’ll either see further protests or sadly you’ll see a more empty Valley.
“People have just had enough. Many of us are trying to keep with it and see the end game, but for some, people have stopped coming to games.
“That would continue, which for the long-term future of the club, is quite sad. It’ll be even harder work when a new owner comes in.
“We can get promoted but we’re pretty much, by the sound of it, going to have to rebuild a whole squad.
“If he doesn’t put the money in to make it a competitive Championship side, are we going to spend a season in the bottom three facing League One again?
“It’s hard to see that Duchatelet would invest heavily in the squad because he’s not done it in the past. But hopefully it would make it a more attractive purchase in the Championship.”
Charlton have suffered relegation to League One and have had eight different managers since Duchatelet bought the club in January 2014.
In an interview with talkSPORT earlier this week, the Belgian millionaire blamed fans’ protests – the last of which was in August – for delaying a proposed takeover.
And Buckland admitted the Valley faithful have become used to Duchatelet’s verbal attacks on fans.
He said: “You would be very insulted, but sadly it’s almost become the norm from Roland.
“The poor comms team he seems to continually berate and blame for the issues since he’s bought the club – it’s just laughable.
“The fact he says it’s not being sold because of the protests, I think there were was one protest in August and prior to that, I’m struggling to remember the one before that.
“There’s not been a protest since August and yet no one has still stumped up the money.
“There’s no buyer who is concerned about the protests because they know the protests aren’t about Charlton Athletic Football Club, it’s about the running of the club by Roland Duchatelet.”
Duchatelet revealed he would give the club away for free, with a prospective buyer only having to pay for the club’s stadium and training ground.
He is believed to be holding out for a figure in excess of £40million to sell Charlton.
Leicester supporting journalists have their say on Brendan Rodgers’ appointment
Fulham sack Claudio Ranieri and appoint Scott Parker as interim boss
Sadio Mane beats best Premier League goal tally… and there’s 10 games to go
‘More together than ever’
Willy Caballero addresses row between Kepa and Chelsea boss
Roland Duchatelet demands EFL buy Charlton from him
All records Solskjaer has broken since taking over at Old Trafford
Roma fan jailed for assault of Liverpool supporter Sean Cox
How every Premier League midweek match should have finished, according to stats
Manchester United goalkeeper De Gea poised to sign new deal, believes Redknapp
Harry Kane free to play in north London derby against Arsenal
Buckland added: “Duchatelet really needs to look at his own numbers and if he really does want out of Charlton then he needs to put a sensible price on the club.
“Nobody is saying he has to give everything away for a penny, there is some value in the football club, but he just needs to be sensible on that value.
“The bit we struggle with sometimes is that he’s holding out for this mysterious value that we don’t think anyone is going to buy, and at the same time, he’s losing large sums of money a month.”