Chelsea confirm they will take appeal against two-window transfer ban to Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after FIFA uphold sanction

bad news

The Blues were slapped with a two-window transfer ban and fined £460,000 earlier this year after FIFA’s investigation into the signings of foreign players under the age of 18

Chelsea have  announced they will appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport after the club’s two-window transfer ban for signing underage players was broadly rejected by FIFA.

The Premier League club were given the sanction, which runs until July 2020, in February and were also fined £460,000 for 29 breaches of the rules on the international transfer of minors.

Chelsea’s two-window transfer ban has been upheld by FIFA

Chelsea’s two-window transfer ban has been upheld by FIFA

Denying any wrongdoing, Chelsea immediately lodged an appeal, with the case heard by FIFA’s appeal committee last month and the outcome announced on Wednesday.

In a statement, the world governing body said it had “partially upheld” the appeal but only in the sense that Chelsea will now be allowed to sign players aged under 16, providing they come from within the European Economic Area.

The ban on signing over-16s remains in place, as does the fine, although it does not apply to the futsal or women’s teams.

“With respect to all men’s teams, the ban on registering new players, both nationally and internationally for two registration periods, has been confirmed by the FIFA Appeal Committee,” it said.

Cross-border transfers of players aged under 18 are banned unless there are specific, non-football reasons for the player moving to the relevant country.

In response, Chelsea again protested their innocence and revealed they will be appealing again, this time to CAS.

A club statement read: “The club notes that the FIFA Appeal Committee has decided to partially uphold the appeal lodged by Chelsea FC against the decision of the FIFA Disciplinary Committee.

“However, the club is very disappointed that the transfer ban of two consecutive registration periods was not overturned.

“Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA Appeal Committee. It acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.”

Chelsea boss Sarri will have to prepare for life without the transfer window

Chelsea boss Sarri will have to prepare for life without the transfer window

LaLiga clubs Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Real Madrid have all been sanctioned for similar offences in the past.

The Blues have now announced in a statement they would now take their appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The club said they were ‘very disappointed’ the ban had not been overturned and “categorically” refuted the findings of FIFA’s appeal committee.

A Chelsea statement read: “The club notes that the FIFA appeal committee has decided to partially uphold the appeal lodged by Chelsea FC against the decision of the FIFA disciplinary committee.

“However, the club is very disappointed that the transfer ban of two consecutive registration periods was not overturned.

“Chelsea FC categorically refutes the findings of the FIFA appeal committee. It acted in accordance with the relevant regulations and will appeal the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.”

Leave a Reply